German Shepherds have been a popular dog breed for more than 100 years. The German Shepherd Dog Club of America (GSDCA) was established in 1908, shortly after the American Kennel Club recognized the GSD as an official breed. Today's German Shepherds have a well-earned reputation as loyal and intelligent dogs that are good-natured, easy to train, and devoted to their families. Many people love them so much that they want a German Shepherd of their own but aren't sure if one is the right fit for their family. Here are ten reasons why adopting a German Shepherd could be your best decision ever:
- German Shepherds are highly intelligent, obedient, and eager to please.
- GSDs have a wonderful temperament with few inherent genetic health problems (hip dysplasia is one).
- They're exceedingly loyal to their families - they're often referred to as "Velcro dogs" for this reason.
- GSDs are wonderful with children and can be trusted to protect them.
- GSDs have been a working dog breed for more than 100 years, so they're extremely hardy and able to perform most jobs well.
- They need very little grooming - just an occasional brushing or wipe-down is generally enough.
- German Shepherds are not high-maintenance pets. You can easily walk them, care for their health needs and have them live indoors with you.
- They're highly trainable. Not only can they become great canine helpers for the disabled and search-and-rescue dogs, but they also compete in many dog sports, including Schutzhund, rally obedience, agility, and more.
- They're great for families with children because they won't knock them over or jump on them like other breeds
- GSDs are loyal to you - not just the family, but also whoever is their primary person at the time. This makes GSDs excellent therapy dogs.
If you are looking for
Give us a call (218) 242-0210 or send us an email here.